Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Staples"

As planned, I completed my "admin" day by paying a visit to Safeway (for the third time in a week). For all of the organization methods I try to apply to our moving box chaos, I have not yet mastered the comprehensive shopping list. Luckily, we have three grocery stores within a short walk or drive.

Since we've lived in our apartment for almost three weeks, I decided that it was practically a crime to open the refrigerator and only find baby loaf of Tillamook cheddar, six bottles of beer, a jar of Grey Poupon, and some butter. While all of the above are tasty, we were starting to feel hard pressed for snacks and meals that didn't end with burrito or quesadilla. Pantry "staples" were desperately needed. Beans, tomatoes, rice and pasta were all on the list, especially since the weather turned a little cool and I'm in the mood for soups. I managed to fill up an entire grocery cart full of basic foods and fresh veggies. The guy at the checkout counter looked overwhelmed when I pulled into his aisle - as was I, since it looked like I was shopping for a family of 16.

I convinced myself that Tillamook Marionberry Pie ice cream could be considered a "staple" (especially since it was on sale). We thoroughly enjoyed our bowls after dinner last night. The ice cream is rich and creamy and the berry swirl and pie crust are divine. "Must be laced with crack," we said while laughing at our own lame Marion Barry jokes. Only a former D.C. resident (thoroughly steeped in the news of corruption) would get nostalgic about kooky politicians while eating delicious bowls of ice cream. Right at that moment I missed Washington a little, probably for the first time since I've been in Portland. Wait? Back to reality. Tillamook. Deliciousness.

Today I plan on hosting my own cooking marathon with all of the delicious things I picked up at the grocery store. I think chicken noodle soup and chili are on the menu. Maybe if I get ambitious, I'll make a batch of cookies. How very domestic of me!

No comments: