Friday, September 12, 2008

Pure Chaos

But it's already starting to feel more like home.

The crate arrived around 12:45pm, weighing in at just a tad under a ton. Seriously, 1900 pounds. The UPS delivery guy had to struggle to keep his fork lift from flying over the top. It was funny and a little scary at the same time. We were both giddy to open the door and see if all of our stuff made it alive. From the appearance of the boxes, it didn't seem as though anything was majorly crushed (we'll see). For the next four hours we unloaded and hauled boxes up to the third floor. It was an epic day, but we survived and there are only book boxes left. Brian said he'd come to help us haul the rest, since I really can't pick them up.

It's hard to imagine how we literally got rid of 50% of our stuff before moving and we still have (almost) a ton piled up in the living room. I certainly have lots of things to do over the next few days and oh, how I do love to organize. I think what I'm most thrilled about is having our kitchen items at my disposal again. We're already planning what our first home cooked meal will be in our new place. It's nice to no longer feel like we're living in a dorm room outfitted only with a desk, two air mattresses, and two chairs.

By the time we had finished unloading most of our stuff yesterday, my legs and arms felt like noodles. However, our mattress was the one thing left that we really, really wanted to have last night. I don't know how we managed to get it up three flights of stairs without breaking our necks (or a window). Luckily, we were so loopy from hauling all of the boxes that we laughed all the way up the stairs - mostly from my groans, umphs, and minor falls. I have a mysterious brush burn on my shoulder from one of my spills, but it was totally worth the fall. Last night I slept like a log on my own sheets, under our quilt, and on my pillow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

EB, this is so exciting!!! And who knew that the phrase, "oh man I have a ton of stuff," could be literal? ha ha

Email me your new home address the next time you take a break from unpacking, OK?

Love, L

awmercy said...

Like a log for 11 hours.