Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weekend Fun

As I mentioned earlier, June has been (and will continue to be) the month of guests. Saturday night we had Larson, Serena, Brian, and Anna over for dinner. I was incredibly excited not only to hang out, but because this was the first dinner party that I've had since we've moved to Portland.

I spent most of Friday afternoon prepping for the meal, so I could actually enjoy the company rather than slaving in the kitchen all night. With my farmers market finds on Wednesday, I made a Greek Mixed-Green Pie (like a giant Spanakopita) with kale, arugula, fenn
el, and fresh parsley. On the side we had a Tomato, Cucumber, and Pita Salad, and fresh watermelon. The watermelon was a last-minute, yet incredibly tasty accompaniment. For dessert, we had a strawberry tart with mascarpone cream filling that I found in the Oregonian. It was delicious!

Of course I failed to take very many photos, so no picture of the Greek pie or the strawberry tart. They were both pretty easy to make and not terribly heavy. It was a great summertime dinner. Today, I'm knee deep in laundry and tasks around the house. Our fridge is pretty bare, so I'm off to the grocery store for some grub. I certainly could use a slice of the strawberry tart to get me through the afternoon!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Send me the greens pie recipe! Yum!

Mona said...

Oooh, love the tablescape and how the plates are all different colors. Very art deco? Okay, I don't normally talk like this. I blame copious hours spent watching food network/hgtv tonight! haha

Thecranewife said...

I'm so psyched that you posted the recipes! Even though I don't think I'd be able to recreate the amazingness, now at least I can try.