Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Amtrak Roomette

I had no idea how well we'd be treated when we booked our Roomette on Amtrak from Portland to Sacramento. We had our own porter, a special "parlor car" for hanging out and wine tasting, free dinner, and upon arrival two bottles of champagne and fruit. What a nice way to kick off our adventure.


The Roomette was literally that, a very very small room. Not much space for movement or storing bags, but the seats were nice and wide and would recline a bit for maximum slouching and viewing the scenery.


J snapped a photo of me enjoying the sunshine and the scenery just outside of Portland. This is shortly before we shut our cabin door and turned on some tunes.

J thoroughly enjoyed having the IPod player and was the official DJ for several hours as we rode along the Oregon coast.
After dinner, we both were stuffed and turned on David Sedaris's When You Are Engulfed in Flames audio book. So far, it's pretty good. However, the food, wine, and reclined position made me very sleepy so we pulled down the bunk and prepared for bed.
I took the top bunk because I'm smaller. The grey thing in the foreground is a little seat belt that hooks on to the ceiling so if you roll over during the night you don't fall off. I thought it was kind of silly, but around 2:30am the train car was leaning pretty far to the right and I felt like my body was slipping toward the edge. Good thing I buckled in.

Given that we are both very mature adults, we immediately rolled over for a snooze. There wasn't any giggling, or farting, or throwing of objects.
Considering the situation, we both slept pretty well. I only remember waking up two or three times during the night. The first time was when Jesse got up to use the restroom, the second, when my cell phone blasted a chirp in my ear to remind me that it's battery was low, and the third, my right arm fell asleep because I had been sleeping on it for hours.

J and I had such a good time that we're already thinking about the next route we want to take. And maybe, if we're lucky, we can get some of our friends to come along!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This post and yesterday's make me so happy!

Nightrain said...

What did you do when Jess removed his shoes?

Thecranewife said...

I don't know how you got such a ripping deal on your amtrak adventure, but if you can get the same one for us, we are so right down the hall next trip.