Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bikes!

Since Portland is such a bike-friendly town and we would like to drive our car as little as possible, last weekend we decided to go bike shopping. After trying out a few different bikes, I determined that I would like a more European-style upright bike (as opposed to a commuter bike with striaight handlebars).

The bike that I fell in love with was the Gary Fisher Simple City. However, it seemed silly to drop $600 on a bike before knowing if I'd even really like riding around the city. So, Jesse started searching Craigslist (for both of us).

He found his bike about 4 days after he started. It turns out that the guy he bought it from bought it in August and found out that he had to go overseas to work. So, Jesse got it for $100 less and it's practically brand new.

I actually found my bike while browsing for a couch in the furniture ads on Craigslist. The lady who was selling it put it in the wrong category, so it's very possible that I was the only one who contacted her. She was selling it for about $250 less than I would have paid in the store - there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it other than some dust here and there. It's more along the lines of a beach cruiser bike, but with 21 speeds.

I went online yesterday before purchasing the bike to read user reviews. The bike gets top ratings for sure. People who have an Electra Townie 21 speed love the ride and comfort. The only problem is that they're all between 50 and 85 years old and have had various hip and knee replacements. I would be willing to bet that they all have garages too because the Townie is a total bitch to haul up three flights of stairs. Jesse often tells me that I behave like a curmudgeonly old man, so maybe I found my bike soul mate - the Oldsmobile of two wheeled transportation. It even has a little bell that I can ring violently like the Omas in Germany.

We took our bikes out for a spin last night and I think I need to make a few adjustments before feeling 100% comfortable on it. The lady who owned it before me had the handle bars jacked up and the seat pushed way low down. When I first hopped on the bike I felt like I was on a chopper. However, once we get the handlebars all situated, I think it's going to be a sweet ride.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm suffering from serious bike envy right now. It's such a great ride! (pray tell, does it come in pink)?

L

ancientindianwizard said...

Nice! I imagine by this time next year you'll both be riding fixed gear and competing in cyclo-cross...

Brasilliant said...

Unfortunately it doesn't, but I hear helmets and streamers do....

Brasilliant said...

AIW: We'll see. I'd like to survive running errands first.

ve1cro said...

The bikes are awesome. Are you thinking about getting a basket?

I can't get over the picture of the Omas volk. Gunter looks so sharp and geil (Mikey taught me that word) in his lederhosen.

Brasilliant said...

Ve1cro: The bike already has a basket, it was just detached in the photo. It's removable with a little handle - for buying Wurst and Blumen am Markt!

Amanda said...

your bike looks heavy, Erin! but it IS adorable.