Monday, September 22, 2008

The New Chair

Jesse and I stopped by Fairly Honest Bill's, a used furniture and knick-nack store, two weeks ago and saw this chair. It was lumped together with various pieces of decaying furniture and was being used as a bed by Oreo the cat. There weren't price tags anywhere, so you had to ask Bill (who was lounging in the corner of the store watching TV). When asked, Bill said he wanted $85 for the chair. I think he must have seen my face (a grimace followed by sheer confusion) because he felt obligated to explain his price. "It's mid-century," he said "that makes it more valuable." Hmm. Obviously Bill has quite a high opinion of his junk and a low opinion of my intelligence. Signs outside of the store clearly indicated that haggling was not appreciated (and I really wasn't looking for another chair). So, we thanked him and left.

We returned to Bill's this past Saturday to scope out any new acquisitions and found a different man tending the shop. His name was Bob. I walked to the back of the store and found that "my" chair was still hanging out on a side aisle. Jesse called over Bob (who smelled terrible) and asked how much he wanted for the chair. Bob scratched his chin and said $65, which was much more reasonable. I knew that I'd have to immediately recover the cushions and clean up the wood once we got home, but I had been thinking of excuses to pull out my sewing machine since we arrived in Portland.

I was eager to get started on recovering the cushions with the new fabric we found, so I took apart the old cover and cut out all of the necessary pieces Saturday afternoon. At that point I realized that the old foam was falling apart, so we ran out to get new pieces cut yesterday morning. By the evening, I had completed the bottom cushion. Both Jesse and I just stood there and stared at how it completely transformed the frame. I was so excited to see it finished!

I worked on the top cushion this afternoon and finished just before dinner. I'm completely happy with how it looks. My next step is to clean up the wood so it lives up to the nice new cushions. I can't wait until we finish unpacking the boxes in our "living room" so I can see how it looks with some of our other furniture!

1 comment: