Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hallelujah! We are Blessed with DSL


Finally, I can check email in my own apartment. Our phone/DSL service was officially turned on Tuesday, but UPS did not deliver the modem until almost 9pm. I nearly died waiting. Luckily, it was set to arrive at Anna & Brian's house, so we had a good excuse to hang out with them for the afternoon. We headed out to the Academy Theater for two-for-one movie night. We saw the new(ish) Indiana Jones movie for $3. Total. For movie "snacks" we had an awesome Oktoberfest micro brew and a slice of delicious cheese pizza. I don't think I can express how much I am loving Portland.

Afterward, Brian took us by his "office" and gave us quite a tour/talk about roasting coffee. He also gave us a few samples to try at home - one of which allegedly smells like Fruit Loops. I'm not convinced about the Fruit Loop bit, but it is quite tasty. We had two cups yesterday and I felt a little like I had tried crack for the first time. A spinning feeling in my head took over and I got the shakes as I came down from my caffeine high. One cup a day from now on. That stuff has a kick.

Oh, and say hello to our useless electronics graveyard. After buying three different phones, we discovered that the buzzing noise on our phone connection is the phone line and not our stupid cordless frequency. I have spent so many hours now on calls to Qwest that I give up. I'll think about the phone service next week, which will likely result in an $85 charge just for the technician to breathe on our stupid phone box. For now, Jesse (and his coworkers) will have to learn to love the buzz. I hate the buzz enough for everyone.

In happier news, our crate arrives today between 11am and 2pm (hopefully in one piece). I dread the unloading process, but can't wait to have my things in our new apartment. Let's hope that it's not too terribly hot outside and we find our fans rather quickly as we unpack.

8 comments:

ve1cro said...

Yay for DSL internet! It felt weird not hearing from you...

Good luck with the unpacking. Remember, you have mad organizing skills!!

ancientindianwizard said...

In regards to the buzzing on your phone are you using an ADSL splitter for the connection from the wall to your phone?

This is what it looks like and it should have come w/ your DSL modem.
http://tinyurl.com/5xhcjc

You'll need one of those splitters for each place where a phone plugs into the wall. I might have one lying around if you don't have any

Of course if you are using those and the phone is still buzzing then it's something else..

Good luck unpacking!

Brasilliant said...

Ve1cro: I'm glad to be back too. It was weird only communicating with friends once a week.

AIW: We have plenty of filters and still hear buzzing.
I also tried my own kind of filter - http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrasell/Misc#5244883009212145090

but still....that buzzing!!!

Nightrain said...

You guys are all dorks... just a friendly reminder

Brasilliant said...

So what?! Hmmm? Did you look at the photo of my filter? It's pure badass.

Thecranewife said...

Don't let Brian suck you into the world of coffee roasting! Soon you'll be using terms like "fruity," "earthy," and "Obama-licous." Seriously, it's weird.

P.S. Have you been to Pok Pok yet? I smell a date night....

Brasilliant said...

Pok Pok? Not yet. What is it?

Thecranewife said...

Only the most delicious Thai restaurant/whiskey bar in all of Portland! (Full disclosure: Pok Pok is, in fact, the only Thai restaurant/whiskey bar in Portland that I've ever been to.) Get there.