Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weekend Update

This weekend had been all about furniture. After much thought, I decided that we needed a bookshelf in our bedroom to hold some of my office supplies, but more importantly to contain some of my fabric and sewing machine. I want my desk to double as an office space when I have work and a craft table when I need to do projects. So far, it's been difficult to switch between the two tasks because I have to dig out all of my crafting things from the closet. Jesse will be traveling a lot this month, so I'll have lots of time on my hands.

We headed out to Ikea on Saturday morning and got there right around 9:45 (just in time to get a quick breakfast). Unfortunately, this weekend was the annual Ikea mattress sale. Also, they were giving out free breakfast. There were probably 150 people waiting in line for a $.99 eggs and bacon. I nearly died. Jesse and I had to try our best to hold it together, since we both arrived at the store really really ready for food. So, we meandered silently through the store, picked up the Billy bookcase and headed straight for the checkout. Thankfully, the snack bar was open on the ground floor and we had a nutritious breakfast of $.50 hot dogs, a coke and a cinnamon roll. The day was much better after we ate.

Today, we went to SE Portland to pick up a piece of furniture for the living room. For a few weeks now, I've been poking around Craigslist looking for a small sideboard or chest of drawers to go under the big window in our living room. Not only does the space feel empty, but Jesse desperately needs some storage space near his desk (otherwise his "office" starts to take over the whole living space). This piece was at the upper end of the price limit I set for myself, but it's solid and couldn't be more perfect in terms of size. Oddly enough, the lady I bought it from turned out to be a classmate from undergraduate school. I'd say we were more acquaintances than friends, but it's kind of a small world to meet someone (buying furniture on Craigslist of all places) that I never expected to see again.

It needs to be cleaned up a bit in terms of vacuuming and tightening the drawer pulls, but overall I'm really happy. I'm thinking of making a runner for it this week out of fabric that I picked up at Urban Outfitters this Christmas on super clearance. I think I'll bring a nice bit of color in the room (and it'll hide a water mark on the top until I can get around to repairing it).

I'm pretty excited to get started!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What a great find! Looks perfect in that spot too.

Brasilliant said...

Thanks! I really love it too. Now I have to head down to the library again to pick up the wood refinishing books. There's a watermark on top that I'd like to fix.