Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Taxes Tuesday

I finished our federal and state taxes this past weekend (we had to file in DC as well as OR) and was pretty happy with the results. Since we moved and our income for 2008 was greatly reduced from the previous year, we are expecting a pretty nice refund. Before you start to hate me too much, the refund doesn't come anywhere near the amount of money it cost to move across the country. And no, we won't use our refund to stimulate the economy, it's going right back into savings.

Even though I kept meticulous records (multiple spreadsheets and organized receipts), it took about a month of sitting down for a couple of hours at a time to get it all entered into TurboTax. I usually fill out the state tax form on my own, but this year since we were partial residents in two states, I decided to spring for the state software as well. It was surprisingly easy after completing my federal forms. Both Oregon and the Federal government have already emailed to verify that they received my forms. I expect that we should see our federal rebate deposited in the next week or so (if all goes well like last year). However, I'm not holding my breath for the DC return. I expect that I'll have to make some phone calls like last year, it's just the nature of the beast. Luckily, I know what to expect this time and will make notes on how to walk the DC tax representative through the steps of properly filling out the 2008 form.

Well, I'm off today for round two of the roman shade project with Anna. Last week she introduced me to Fabric Depot (my new favorite store) where she picked out fabric and we loaded up on supplies. Today, we'll be cutting and sewing and sawing. I love projects, so this one should be pretty exciting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.