Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dessert Challenge

Jesse found out on Wednesday that his office in Portland is going to have a dessert contest next Friday. Anyone who wants to participate can bring in a sweet treat of their choice that should fall into one of two categories that will be judged: Chocolate and Non-Chocolate.

We have decided that chocolate, by nature, makes just about anything decadent and someone could very easily win the contest by bringing in a tray of fudge or kick-ass brownies. So, Jesse and I
have decided that we are going to compete in the non-chocolate category. I am not a huge dessert person (I'd much rather blow away my guests with a savory meal), however, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a good last course. I am not a huge pie fan (although married to a pie connoisseur) and quite frankly, I'm not very good at making them. So, pie really isn't an option this time around.

The first two desserts that immediately came to mind were ones that I could not stop eating -- to the point of feeling sick. The third is one that I've never m
ade, but think would knock the socks off of any taster:

1) Poached Pear and Almond Tart
I made this tar
t last year when our friend, Sharon, was visiting. It was delicious. Not only is it beautiful and tasty, I think it would hold up well while being transported to the office and is probably at its best at room temperature.


2) Pecan Shortbread Bars with Strawberry Jam
I've made these several times and they are always a hit. They aren't nearly as beautiful as the pear tart, but are quite decadent with gobs of butter. Mmm. I think they would appeal to a wider audience -- who doesn't love shortbread and strawberries?

3) Spiced Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake
This is one that I haven't made and is not illustrated anywhere. The recipe is not as involved as the pear tart, but still takes a bit of work. We're going to make one this weekend to test it out and I will likely make a final decision by Wednesday next week.

Any thoughts? What non-chocolate dessert would send you over the edge? Vote for your favorite on the right side panel. (I also included an "other" category if you have something that sounds even better. Just leave a comment with your recipe!)

3 comments:

Thecranewife said...

I vote for the fruity shortbread. And please send 20 down to Santa Cruz. Thank you.

Nightrain said...

We had the Spiced Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake over the holidays and its was pretty mind-blowing. Go heavy on the bourbon because the cheesecake is so rich you can only really eat a small slice and its nice to get a burst of that bourbon flavor.

awmercy said...

Now that sounds like good advice.