Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Inspired

I talked with my friend Lauren on the phone last night and we managed to gab about what's going on in our lives for over two hours! It's really hard having a best friend that is 2,000 miles away. It took us a whole week of phone tag to finally hear each others voices, and believe me, I needed a good chat. We got on the subject of exercise and she was telling me about how she started training for a road race in a few weeks. Feeling inspired by her accomplishments, I decided to check out a training schedule online that she suggested. It seems very reasonable. I wonder why I haven't tried this before? Ladies and gentlemen, I will begin training for a hypothetical 5K today. I really have no desire to run in a race, but need some kind of structure to get my butt on a regular exercise routine again.

According to the schedule, Monday was a rest/walk day -- believe me, I relaxed to the fullest extent possible. After running a few errands, I ended up at the fabric store again on the hunt for a cute dress pattern to try out on my dummy (Erin 2.0). I ended up browsing through pattern catalogs for almost an hour and then spent another hour drooling over all of the fabric choices.

I forced my inner prudence to take over and decided that it would be best to just buy a few yards of muslin and play around with fitting before diving right into the fancy stuff. I started out with pretty basic dress patterns (along with a simple blouse) and am hoping that after a few tries I will be able to do more complex designs. Maybe I'll get all Project Runway on your asses and yell Fierce! at the top of my lungs when I wake up in the mornings. Or, a more reasonable option would involve me becoming accomplished enough to alter some of the basic patterns to include things like cute keyhole backs, or an extra tuck here and there for fun. I feel that the more I try the more I learn.

So, today I will run 1.5 miles (hopefully) without dying and will conquer pattern piecing. I also think I'm going to make a cover for Erin 2.0, because I have a feeling that the duct tape will start to get sticky if I continue to pull clothes off and on her over and over.

*** Noon Update ***

I just got a call to let me know that the architectural firm was selected for an interview for that survey project! YAY! Now I'm really going to have to get out on that run to burn off the excitement.

2 comments:

ancientindianwizard said...

If you need a bicycling cap to go with your outfit let me know.. my skills are really coming together.

Maybe when you're down here in May we can make dresses for our respective spouses?!

Aron said...

Wow, great news! Make sure you have good shoes for the run!