Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Indulgence

Jesse and I were exercise buddies yesterday. We don't exercise together, just serve as motivation to get our butts out the door (then we go our separate ways). I am trying to get back into running, since I really have no excuse with all of this free time, but also because I need to feel productive and scheduling activities is the first step. I only ran for about a mile and a half, but walked for another three miles. It was a gorgeous day, so why not? When I got back home, I was pooped (and starving).

We ordered takeout from a local restaurant, because I have been craving Pad Thai for days. It was delicious and hit that empty noodle spot in my soul. Feeling sated after dinner, I sat down to work on a sewing project and realized that my eyes felt like lead at 6:30 in the evening. All I wanted to do was take a nap. Instead of giving in to the exhaustion/food coma, I decided to take a trip to the Fabric Depot. Nothing like (what feels like) an acre of fabric to revive the soul. I spent two hours perusing the rows for just the right fabric to complete one of my quilting projects. Everything in the store was discounted 20%, so I also picked up two jumbo spools of thread. I'm all set to go! It was hard not to go wild and buy tons of fabric for future projects, but I did get a few ideas for what might come next.

While looking for just the right fabric, I stumbled on the pattern books and spent about an hour checking out what's new for spring and summer. I was pleasantly surprised to find multiple patterns that were really cute. This morning I pulled out a couple of books that I've had for a while to study up on how to fit a pattern and measure myself properly. I admit, the covers of the books are hideous, but there's a lot of great information inside on how to make clothing patterns fit well (so they don't look homemade). I've had my eye on a few cute summer dresses at Anthropologie, but have a hard time stomaching the $170-260 price tag for a basic cotton shift. The thought of making something that I'll actually wear is pretty cool, but the process seems a little daunting. I have to admit that without a dress form, it's going to be a little difficult. However, if I can conquer curve piecing in quilting then I can certainly manage darts and princess seams! Maybe I'll try to enlist Jesse to help with the fitting.

I do have a wedding coming up at the end of May. (Wheels in head turning.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EB - you totally need to check out the Readers Digest "New Complete Guide to Sewing." There are some really great sections on clothing construction, plus awesome illustrations of the Time-Life vintage that we love so much (I'm thinking of the home repair and renovation series circa 1983. Love it!!!)... LVD

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You can sew fashion for yourself without a dress form. I have sewed for myself many years without one and managed some stunning outfits.