Monday, April 6, 2009

Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Gorgeous doesn't even begin to describe the weather today (and all weekend for that matter). The sun is shining, the air is crisp, and I even heard birds chirping. We finally made it out to the farmers market down near Portland State University. The only complaint was that I forgot gloves and my hands nearly froze during the bike ride there and back -- I think it was only about 40 degrees Saturday morning. I was so excited to walk around and look at all of the beautiful fruits and vegetables. Also, the bakeries! There were at least five people selling baked goods, ranging from decadently sweet to savory. I went the savory route and split with Jesse a bacon leek tart (on right) and a broccoli ham puff. They were delicious!

The leeks were particularly nice, so we picked up a bunch, along with some potatoes and made a nice soup for dinner last night. Also, we purchased a variety of carrots and also sampled a few varieties of sheep's milk cheese -- this was our favorite. It's aged a little longer, so it's more crumbly than creamy. I can't wait to try it out this week, perhaps with a glass of Oregon Pino Gris.

I also went running on Sunday (something that I haven't done in a very, very long time). I jogged along the waterfront downtown and all of the cherry trees were blooming and everyone was out lounging in the sun. I wish that I had my camera to take a photo, but not to worry, Jesse and I are going to meet down there after work and enjoy the afternoon! I'll post more photos of the glorious afternoon tomorrow.

No comments: