Friday, August 20, 2010

Cooked to Perfection

J made his best batch of stir-fried beef on Wednesday night. It was marinated and cooked to perfection. I know it seems like I eat an alarming amount of red meat these days, but don't worry, I mix it up with an even more alarming amount of beans. If I don't get a giant amount of protein for breakfast and dinner then my energy is zapped by a little dude who refuses to make his appearance in this world. As a result, I've upped my morning cottage cheese intake to half a container (up from 1/3), which clocks me in at about 3 1/2 pounds of cottage cheese a week. Since my hunger has me waking up at 5am every morning, I've had to incorporate a second breakfast of eggs and toast around 9am. After letting that settle, I'm ready for my two-hour 10am nap. If someone looked at a chart of my daily activity, they'd come to the conclusion that I probably live in an old folks home.

Anyway, back to dinner. Alongside the beef we had a fresh corn and tomato salad with red onion and parsley -- all ingredients from our CSA. We also enjoyed roasted fingerling potatoes (from the CSA). It felt so good to be in a cool kitchen again after that insanely hot weather. I have to say, I have no complaints about Portland's unseasonably cool weather lately. Some people feel robbed of summer, I feel pretty lucky to sleep almost through the night because of the crisp air coming in through the window. 

As for the baby, he's still basking in the 98.6ยบ summer vacation that will hopefully soon come to an end. I went to my last centering group meeting yesterday and everything looks just fine, but I'm scheduled for fetal monitoring on Tuesday if I don't deliver before then. It's not a big deal, just checking in to track Baby G's movement and see how his amniotic fluid levels are doing. If he's tolerating life inside fairly well, I'll be allowed to stick it out until 42 weeks (August 30th). At that point we'll have to start making plans of nudging him along. Luckily, the midwife assured me that they almost never have to use Pitocin to induce labor, which puts my mind more at ease.

No comments: