Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Outing

Yesterday, I had my two week check-up and realized for the first time that I should allot two hours of preparation time in order to get anywhere on time. I was given the choice of nursing Little (for a second time) and making it to the doctor's office at 10:30 or drying my hair, applying makeup (and possibly deodorant). I chose the baby with a full belly over my appearance. Anyway, I was given the all clear to resume some of my more regular routines, such as walking. Of course, I can't just jump right back into my two or three mile per day habit, but I'm looking forward to trying short walks here and there to build up my stamina again. Even though my incision from the c-section is healing well, I am not allowed to lift anything much heavier than Little for another four weeks, so I'll be limited to small trips to the grocery store and strolls to the park.

My parents are in town to visit with their grandson and to help out while I'm still recovering. Being cooped up inside for two weeks had me feeling a little stir crazy, so I jumped at the chance to get out for a bit last night. We drove over to a favorite sandwich spot, Kenny & Zukes, and then walked over to the Chapman School to watch a flock of swifts roost in the building's giant chimney. It only happens once a year in the first three weeks of September, so hundreds of people gather on the school lawn with picnic baskets and lawn chairs to watch thousands of birds swirl and dive in the chimney. 

Until yesterday, it had been warm enough to wear cute summer dresses and a cardigan, which were very comfortable on my still healing (and shrinking) midsection and sort of offset my otherwise disheveled appearance. However, an evening in the park necessitated pants and sleeves. So, with borrowed sweatpants, my now too large hooded jacket, and unkempt hair we went walking. I pretended not to notice my sad wardrobe state and enjoyed the fresh air and time away from the couch. By the time we got to the park I was pooped, but it was so exciting to watch Little stare wide-eyed at all of the news sights and sounds. I can't wait for our next outing.

No comments: