Friday, September 17, 2010

Driving Around

This is pretty much how my days play out. My mom or J take Little in the morning so I can sleep in for an extra couple of hours. I get up, have breakfast, feed Little his second (or third) breakfast, and he promptly passes out on my lap or shoulder. I decided to keep a book or two next to the couch so I can at least get a bit of reading done while he relaxes. With the exception of a few really restless nights, he's been a great baby, so I don't mind being his personal food cart.

Due to a couple of fussy afternoons, my mom and I have been putting off  a few errands that required us to get in the car. However, yesterday we decided to make a break for it and took a mini shopping trip with Little. It was my first time behind the wheel since he was born almost three weeks ago and I couldn't wait to get out of the neighborhood. We set out right around his regular nap time, which was a bit of a risk, since he'd either sleep peacefully as we browsed the aisles of Kohls and Target, or wail uncontrollably for not being in his swing at home. In my mind, it was worth the risk because I was in desperate need of some essentials to fit my postnatal (post-cesarean) body.  

Little handled the outing like a champ, crying only twice when he was hungry. I learned a couple of things as a result: 1) shopping will now take twice as long as it did before 2) I can never stop moving the stroller if I want him to snooze while I browse and 3) if all else fails, a full belly and bumpy car ride will soothe him into slumber. I definitely feel more confident that I will not be a shut-in for the rest of my life. This was a huge step.

No comments: