Tuesday, February 9, 2010

King Cake Success

I always felt special growing up knowing that King Cake season always started on my birthday, January 6th. However, there are a lot of really bad King Cakes out there, so I rarely requested one as an actual birthday treat. Whenever I would go with my parents to visit my grandparents during Mardi Gras season I knew I was in for a treat -- I wasn't as interested in the King Cake as much as the candy, parades, beads, and doubloons. We'd inevitably go and visit relatives that were along one of the local parade routes and stand outside to catch our treasures. Of course, someone always had a King Cake and I would lurk around the kitchen and living room to see who got to keep the baby hidden inside.

I
usually don't attempt to make King Cake myself, because if not done just right it can be a dry, tasteless loaf with cloyingly sweet (and tacky) icing on top. However, I just couldn't resist giving it a try in honor of the Saints making it to the Superbowl. Last year around this time, I tried a recipe that was very tasty, but didn't really look like a King Cake. The texture and feel wasn't exactly as I had remembered either. So, my mom sent over a recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse that she really liked and I decided to give it a whirl. I generally turn my nose at Lagasse's recipes, since he isn't really from New Orleans, but in this case he did get the King Cake just right. If you've never had a taste before, I'd have to say it's closest to a slightly sweet dense bread with a pretty good hint of nutmeg. Very simple, but oh so tasty. Mine didn't bake up perfectly (notice the seam where the dough didn't rise together), but it was still beautiful. This recipe also has a hidden treat inside, a slightly sweet cream cheese mixture that keeps the dough really nice and moist. It seriously is one of the best King Cakes that I've tasted.

The icing is lemon juice, milk, and powdered sugar that made a nice crust when it dried. As I hurried to ice the cake during commercial breaks in the fourth quarter, I realized that I probably shouldn't have put it on the cake stand until the end. Oh well, the drips are just part of the charm, I guess. And all of those little stars? Well, our grocery store didn't stock Mardi Gras colored sprinkles, so Jesse's contribution to the King Cake was painstakingly separating the gold, purple, and green sprinkles from two jars. Hey! He offered (and seemed actually excited about his accomplishment).

My only complaint? I personally think that it has a bit too much nutmeg, but that may just be my pregnancy nose/taste buds working overtime. Oh yeah, and it is really large! Next time if I make it just for two, I'll definitely try to cut the recipe in half.

2 comments:

Nightrain said...

Awesome. You should make Jesse separate the sprinkles for everything you bake... even if the recipe doesn't call for sprinkles.

Brasilliant said...

Ha ha. Good thought. I bet he'd demand fewer baked goods.