Monday, February 1, 2010

Better than Birthday Cake

As many of you read, my birthday was pretty uneventful this year despite being a huge milestone (the big 3-0). In fact, I didn't even bother to post an entry on my blog. At the time, I wasn't prepared to divulge the real reason that I could have cared less about January 6th, 2010, so I let you believe that I was just lazy or in a spiraling state of denial. Don't get me wrong, I was insanely lazy and maybe a little in denial, but there was a much bigger reason that I decided to postpone my birthday for a month or two.

I'm pregnant.

That's right, after two years of marriage and a year in our new city, J an
d I decided to expand our family. The move to Portland in 2008 was not only to find a new cool place to live, but also to find a place where we would want to raise our children (someday). Making that decision took a lot of thought on both of our parts, especially since I'm in the process of switching careers in a pretty uncertain economy. However, when it came to figuring out whether to wait or just go for it, we both realized that there might never be that perfect time.

Oh right, back to my birthday. So, that woeful case of morning sickness that started early on in December (and subsequently squelched all plans for cooking a delicious holiday meal) had me pea green straight through a better part of January. I think at the time of my 30th year on earth, even the word "birthday cake" sent me running for the bathroom. It was sad, but all I could eat was yogurt, apples, and cottage cheese and wanted to nap all day long. In my book, that is not a birthday.

However, today J and I went in for my first ultrasound appointment (I'm 12 weeks along) and got a first-rate view of what will be our newest family member. It was so much better than birthday cake, presents, and a party combined. The baby is only about 2 1/2 inches long and has little toothpicks for legs and arms, but it was jumping around and giving us quite a show up on the monitor. At one point (while trying really hard to capture an important measurement), the technician mentioned that the baby was wearing the umbilical cord over its shoulder like a hand bag and wiggling its hands in front of its face. Naturally, our little jumping bean must have inherited its father's energy and mother's flair for the dramatic -- I think we're in for quite a ride!

8 comments:

Nightrain said...

Yahtzee!!!

ve1cro said...

HA HA, I love how the baby is already full of personality!! Can't wait to meet the newest Braswick.

Also, I am concerned that you haven't had any birthday cake. Please fix that. Thanks.

Amanda said...

Congraaaaaaaatulations!

Ashley said...

Such a perfectly detailed ultrasound! Exciting!!

Aron said...

Best news ever! A big hug to both of you!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! Name her/him the best unisex name ever Tyshawn Kevon...lol!

LeaOliver said...

So so happy and excited for you both. Looking forward to hearing about it along the way.

Laura said...

How exciting, congratulations!
Laura in Ludwigsburg