Friday, February 12, 2010

Guest Room Inspirado

As I've mentioned previously, for the past couple of months our back bedroom has been the dumping ground for all things ugly and unwanted -- piles of unopened boxes, random bags of cords and electronics, and stacks of artwork and photo frames that still need a home. It is also J's home office, so add a bunch of work stuff on top of the heap and we had quite a mess. Actually, it is still a huge mess, but we've made great strides to improve conditions this week. One giant motivating factor was that we went out on Tuesday evening and purchased a set of mattresses at a super discount from a local sleep shop. To my surprise, they were insanely speedy with the delivery, promising and arriving at 10am sharp yesterday morning. So what's the catch? Well, we haven't actually purchased a bed frame.

We'd been going back and forth about whether to go with a queen-size guest bed (with the comfort of our parents in mind) or something smaller. The thing is, we actually want our families to come and stay and feel comfortable, so a full size bed was out of the question. The only problem is that 75% of the year, the bed would remain empty and take up a lot of floor space for such a small amount of use. When searching for alternatives, I remembered that my sister had a daybed as a kid and my parents frequently used it for out of town guests. After consulting with my Mom, she assured me that it was a pretty comfortable sleep. So, I started the search and finally found a daybed with a pop-up trundle in our price range that wasn't insanely hideous -- I was surprised to find that daybed designs have changed very little over the course of my life, most of which really didn't fit the look of our other furniture. So, for most of the year, the bed will serve as a couch/lounge space and when guests come to visit, we'll have a king-size bed for their use.

Naturally, my mind has jumped about 15 steps ahead of the game. I'm already envisioning color schemes and coverlets for the new daybed (that hasn't been ordered and probably won't arrive for another 6 weeks). To add fuel to the fire, one of my favorite blogs, Apartment Therapy, just announced that DwellStudio has teamed up with Target again for a new line of bedding. Unfortunately, their coverlets only come in queen and king size (I'd most likely want two twins), but I'm kind of loving the gold and pewter combination. I'm also partial to the blue green combination (found on the link above) that might contrast well with the sort of lemony walls in our apartment. Perhaps I'm due for another trip out to Fabric Depot in the near future to see if I can't make those coverlets myself!

(Image of DwellStudio Line borrowed from Apartment Therapy)

No comments: