Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sandwich Night

Last night's dinner turned out to be a lot more fun than I had imagined. I picked up a loaf of cibatta from Ken's, dusted off my mandolin to slice thin veggies, and paired it all with a little ham and some goat cheese. The Ken's bread loaf turned out to be a little much for a traditional sandwich, so we used the slices as the mode of delivery for lots and lots of crispy greens.

Jesse really got into building his dinner creations and made pile after pile of stylized open-faced sandwiches. By the end, they no longer resembled sandwiches, but rather gobs of arugula, sprouts and cucumbers shoved into a tiny piece of crust and held together by a strip of ham -- kind of like a cibatta taco. I wonder if Mark Bittman has our tiny apartment tapped for blog ideas: Sandwich Anyone? Now that I look through the photo entries, I'm sad I didn't take more pictures of Jesse's creations. They were quite lovely and didn't raise the temperature of the kitchen one bit.

Speaking of temperature, the twin fan worked brilliantly (and Portland weather flipped me the bird). Not two hours after we installed the window fan, a giant weather system came through and cooled things down to a brisk 50 degrees. After the sun went down a little, the bedroom was 60 degrees in no time. In fact, it was a little too cold by the time we woke up this morning that turned it off completely. Of course, it won't work as well when the outside temperature is hovering at 90, but for now, it's perfect. As long as the evenings cool down, I think I can survive.

No comments: