Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cajun Fusion

So, I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what to do with the 2 pounds of cooked pinto beans that I made last week. Aside from freezing them for later, I hadn't come up with very many good ideas -- there are only so many ways to vary tacos and burritos. Then yesterday, I typed in "pinto beans" on Epicurious and found a Trinidadian recipe for Pelau. It sounded a lot like an alternate version of my favorite southern Perloo dish, so I decided to give it a whirl.

In all honesty, my dish didn't resemble the original at all, given I didn't have any butternut squash, coconut milk, or scotch bonnet peppers. I scanned the fridge for things that I did have on hand and devised a rough plan. The result was more like a Pelau love child, mixing a little Caribbean, a little Cajun, and a little Mexican (from the pintos). I used brown rice, some Cajun spice, Jerk spice, hot sauce, and a ton of fresh herbs. The interesting part of this recipe is that you glaze the chicken in a bit of brown sugar before stirring in all of the ingredients. It provides a nice (and very different) touch from my usual rice dishes. I also included bell pepper and celery in addition to the onions, carrots, and scallions. I baked the rice mixture covered in the oven for what seemed like eons -- almost an hour and a half.

Just when I was about to lose all hope and resign myself to getting takeout instead, the liquid was absorbed and we were ready to chow down. I have to say that the rice was not perfect. This, I think, is due to the fact that I threw in the beans without rinsing first. The residual liquid caused the rice to be a little stickier than I would have liked. However, the chicken literally fell off the bone and the flavor was out of this world. I am encouraged. This recipe really opened the door for a little more experimentation. If I can get the liquid ratio just right, then the flavor and ingredient varieties are endless.

This meal was right up my comfort food alley. It's also a really cheap way to clean out the fridge. I've done a rough calculation and even with the chicken, the whole dish cost under $10. With at least four servings, I'd say that's a good value. Both Jesse and I are excited to try another version in the not-so-distant future.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You sure know how to make a girl feel inadequate. ;)

Brasilliant said...

Believe me, it took a lot of failures to get to this dish.