Friday, May 15, 2009

A Celebration

Jesse declared today a local holiday in honor of me unveiling my legs for the first time this season. It's the first day that's been nice enough to put on a tank top for running, so I decided to embrace it wholeheartedly and go for shorts as well. This was not a process to take lightly. It meant shaving my legs above the knees and foregoing lotion for fear that the reflective glare from freshly moisturized skin might cause severe car collisions as I passed by.

I'm not just doing this for comfort as I run, but also for the comfort of the guests attending Ben & Daphne's wedding in two weeks. I distinctly remember the last May wedding that I attended in California. My legs were likened to the color of thick, white tights -- legs so white, in fact, that they have never been found on any native species of the west coast. Since I've publicly committed to wearing a dress, I decided that it is time for me to do something about my porcelain (pasty) skin.

My run went pretty well today. I ended up jogging just over 25 minutes (with a couple of walking breaks), and covered about 3.5 miles while walking and running.
The weather certainly couldn't have been more perfect. Other than the emergency pit stop stop in the very crowded Wallace Park public restroom (that doesn't have stall doors), the run was pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure the 6-year-old child that walked in on me didn't have such a sweet afternoon. She was quite distraught. Note to future self, make lots of noise when using bathrooms with no doors.

2 comments:

Thecranewife said...

Have you considered self-tanner? I hear self-tanning technology has really grown by leaps and bounds.

Also, no stall doors? Wow, that's dude style. Next time hum loudly the whole time. It will make things more and less awkward!

Brasilliant said...

I haven't tried any new generations of self tanners. However, I don't really care enough to try anytime soon. A little sun here and there will take off the glow.