Thursday, May 14, 2009

On a Mission

This week Jesse noticed that one of the drawer pulls on our credenza was cracked. In truth, it wasn't just cracked, the handle was about to fall off. This made me very sad, because I actually really love the pulls. I'm not sure how it happened -- whether it was already cracked when we bought the piece, or if we damaged it somehow when moving it to the apartment. Both Jesse and I have a knack for breaking things, so maybe somehow one of us did it by accident.I can't really point fingers here, because it is a total mystery.

Anyway, I have been on a mission to find something to replace my cute little drawer pulls, but to date I have hit a wall. Not only are they a unique shape, but they are also a weird size. Very few pieces of furniture hardware come with the screws spaced at 4.25" on center. Even the internet has turned up very limited options. At this point, I'm not even worried about style as long as I find something to make the drawer functional again! I have yet to troll the vintage furniture and hardware replacement stores here in Portland. That in itself is a daunting task. There has to be a shop that specializes in old hardware, especially with the mid-century modern craze that has hit lately. I just have to find the right store!

My roommate from college is taking an intensive course this summer in the hills of North Carolina on metalworking and forging. Maybe I can be her first customer and commission her to craft a new set for me.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Such a gorgeous piece of furniture...

Paul Fife said...

I'm looking too for that size and finish. Have you found anything yet? As a last resort, create a wax mold off one of the pulls. Make a plaster mold from that and then I think wax again that is then coated with ceramic to be fired. Make a whole set of ceramic molds and then take/send to a foundry to be poured.