Monday, September 14, 2009

Train from Germany to Belgium: Day 12

Monday, September 14th

Today's trip from Germany to Belgium was rather uneventful, but long. We were on a total of 5 trains, one bus, and one tram. We arrived in Ghent with ease (if a little hunger) and then all hell broke loose.

It seems as though Belgium has a jolly old time totally spleening tourists and non-locals with their lack of signage on roads (and in the case of Ghent, their public transit). It is so confusing, in fact, that two different employees instructed us to take a bus that was going in the exact opposite directon of our hotel. When I showed the bus driver the name of our street he said, "yes we stop there." To confirm, I asked, "which stop," and he replied, "I don't know, I'll tell you when to get off."

Well, he dumped us in the middle of northwest suburban Ghent, approximately 3 miles away from our destination. For all of it's messed up signage and crazy drivers, Ghent has a lot of really nice people. Two individuals went out of their way to stop and help us. It reminded me of why I wanted to travel around in the first place.

It will also hopefully remind me to have patience with visitors in the future, as we relied greatly today on the kindness (and proficient English) of others.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I can't wait to see the pictures--the b/w maps are such teases!