Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Year, New Leaps

December was a blur! Between preparing food and drink for our holiday party, setting up the decorations, and hosting Christmas at our place this year, I hardly had time to think about Miles' upcoming developmental leaps. I wrote earlier about this book that I found, The Wonder Weeks, and how it took a really positive spin on Miles' fussy behavior by explaining the changes going on in his brain. While our family was in town, Miles was the center of attention and demanded constant interaction. I thought that the hustle and bustle around the house was causing his discontent, but then I looked at the calendar and realized that the weeks surrounding Christmas were leading into Wonder Week 19: The World of Events. 

Miles' understanding of the world around him got much more complex, and as a result, the little guy probably was feeling pretty overwhelmed. Thankfully, there were many loving arms to hold him when he fussed, because I'm not sure how I would have made it on my own. One night after feeling completely exhausted and exasperated at his insanely short naps, lack of sleep at night, and constant uneasiness I picked up The Wonder Weeks read it aloud to Jesse's mom. We both chuckled because it was like someone had been spying on our family and reporting on the action -- mood swings, sleeping poorly, wants more physical contact, bad temper, wants to put EVERYTHING in his mouth. Some days, the fussiness far outweighed the cool new things he was able to do like rolling over, sitting up with just a little support, exploring everything with his hands and mouth, and general fascination with the world around him. However, it was a relief to know that what seemed like the perpetual wonder week would come to an end and we'd have back our charming son again. 

I have already started reading about the upcoming Wonder Week 26 so that I will be more understanding and prepared to challenge him through the next developmental leap. I recently upgraded to the newest extended edition of The Wonder Weeks, released in November, which goes all the way through week 75 (or 20 months). As we all know, this is the period when our babies experience their first adolescence -- the dreaded "Terrible Twos." According to Dr. Plooj, transitioning into toddlerhood is a cause for celebration and those months don't have to be terrible if I am prepared and know what's going on in his head. I plan to read and re-read these chapters so that Jesse and I can make the most of a very challenging time ahead.

Even in just the first few months of reading about Miles' developmental leaps, I've found that planning ahead and preparing myself for those upcoming stormy periods has helped me to be more accepting of those cranktastic days, knowing that something awesome is just around the corner.

No comments: